WebOS isn’t getting much love these days even with the newly released HP Veer, time will tell if WebOS can remain a viable player in the smartphone market. Luckily there are still many folks out there who care about WebOS and find workarounds which make devices like the Palm Pre 2 or HP Veer better. rmausser @ PreCentral found a way to get an improved version of Google Maps running on any WebOS device.
This hack / workaround uses Google Maps Mobile site not the native Google Maps app, it has some performance issues but it is better looking.
Follow these instructions to get a better looking version of Google Maps on your WebOS device:
- On your computer go to Google Maps, make sure you’re logged into your Gmail account
- Go to any location and save it to a map: click on Save to map and add it to My Saved Places
- Once the location is saved, create a link to it using the Link button at the top right of the Google Maps map
- On your WebOS device, log into the same Gmail account
Paste the link into your browser and enjoy. A better way of doing it would be to send the Maps link to your Gmail account and then click on the link in the email to open Google Maps in the WebOS browser
- Once the map is up, add it to your launcher using Menu > Page > Add to launcherYou can get more information @http://forums.precentral.net/webos-patches/282932-improved-google-maps.html#post2974760.