Last week we were discussing how to root your Barnes and Noble Nook and now the latest Nook Color has also been rooted. This makes it easier to convert it into a full fledge Android tablet! The Nook Color is an higher end eReader compared to the Nook, it comes with a beautiful color screen and some built-in applications for Facebook or Twitter. Now that it is rooted you’re free to install other applications using ADB.
Please note that we won't be responsible if you end up bricking your device. Rooting your device can be risky, if you follow the instructions you should be fine!
All the credits for this rooting / jailbreaking procedure go to the folks @ NookDevs.
Check out a quick demonstration of what can be done with a rooted Nook Color:
Follow these instructions to root your Barnes and Noble Nook Color:
- If you’re on Windows you’ll have to install a software called WinImage (http://www.winimage.com/download.htm). On Mac and Linux you have access to dd which will do the trick.
- Download Pookey9000’s nooter0.2.zip file @ http://www.mediafire.com/?cfddu9wt9d8dunl
- Unzip its content to a folder on your computer
- For Mac and Linux follow the instructions @ http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting
- Insert your SD Card in your computer, this procedure will completely wipe it so make a backup if needed
- On Windows open up WinImage and select ‘restore virtual hard disk image’ from the Disk menu
- Insert the SD Card in your Nook Color
- Connect your Nook Color to your computer using an USB cable
- Turn your Nook Color on
- Your computer should quickly see a new USB device, if it complains about missing drivers simply cancel
- Wait about 30 seconds so that the script has enough time to enable ADB in Android
- Unplug the USB cable
- Remove the SD Card
- Turn off completely your Nook Color (hold the power button for a couple of seconds)
- Turn it back on, the Nook Color firmware should be able to accept ADB connections.
- You will now need to update the ADB ini file on your computer to do so on Windows follow the instructions @ http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB
Now that your Nook Color is rooted you can go to the Nook Color portal @ http://nookdevs.com/Portal:NookColor to install new apps, replace the default launcher etc.
Update (01/08/11): Transform your rooted Nook Color into a Kindle, check out Transform your Nook Color into a Kindle
Update (12/18/10): the rooting process now includes full access to the Android Market on your Nook Color, another reason to root it!
If you want more information about rooting the Nook Color go to http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting
If you are interested in rooted the Nook, follow our instructions @ How To Root your Barnes and Noble Nook.