The HTC Desire Z is an Android device from HTC which runs Android 2.2, comes with a 3.7 inch touch screen as well as a slider keyboard. It is really nice as you get a screen with a decent size and a physical keyboard in case you don’t like virtual keyboards. The HTC Desire Z has been released on many carriers including T-Mobile in the US where it is called the T-Mobile G2. Follow these instructions if you want to root your HTC Desire Z.
Note that we won't be responsible if you end up bricking your device, rooting your device can be risky. If you follow the instructions then you will be fine!
If you’re interested in rooting the T-Mobile G2, please follow our instructions @ How To Permanently Root your T-Mobile G2. The HTC Desire Z and the T-Mobile G2 require different rooting procedures.
All the credits for this rooting / jailbreaking procedure go to Mr_Q and scotty2 @ XDA. Feel free to donate to them @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843014 if you’d like.
Follow these instructions if you want to root or jailbreak your HTC Desire Z:
- If you have installed VISIONary on your device, uninstall it or make sure it is disabled at boot
- Install the app Terminal Emulator (http://www.appbrain.com/app/android-terminal-emulator/jackpal.androidterm)
- Download the file z-combined-root.zip @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843014
- Unzip z-temp-root files on your computer, you’ll use them to get temporary root access (temproot)
- Open up a command prompt on your computer and type:
adb push su /sdcard/su
adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
adb push rage /data/local/tmp/rage
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
adb push root /data/local/tmp/root
adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/*
- On your device, start Terminal Emulator and execute:
- When you see ‘Forked #### childs.’, go to Menu and select Reset Term
- Try to start again the app Terminal Emulator, it should crash (Force Close)
- Try a second time, this time it should work and you now have temp root access.
- Keep this Terminal Emulator window open on your HTC Desire Z
- Back to your computer, unzip z-perm-root. You’ll get 4 files out of the archive.
- On your computer, open up a command prompt and type:
adb push hboot_7230_0.84.2000_100908.nb0 /data/local
adb push wpthis-Z.ko /data/local
- On your HTC Desire Z, in the Terminal Emulator window that you opened previously type:
- This should have turned off security on your device therefore allowing permanent flashing, you should be getting:
init_module 'wpthis-Z.ko' failed (Function not implemented)
- On your device type: [MAKE SURE YOU USE THE CORRECT PARTITION OR YOU’LL BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!! IT IS mmcblk(zero)p(one)(eight)]
dd if=/data/local/hboot_7230_0.84.2000_100908.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
- Now type:
- Wait a little bit (more than a minute) and reboot your HTC Desire Z.
- Once rebooted open up the Terminal Emulator application and type:
- Follow the instructions on your screen and enjoy permanent root access on your HTC Desire Z.