In case you got a new Windows Phone 7 device for Christmas you will be happy to know that it is possible to unlock / jailbreak your Windows Phone 7 device using a utility called ChevronWP7. Jailbreaking your Windows Phone 7 device will allow you to install unofficial apps or custom ringtones. The only problem is that the unlocker has been discontinued and can be hard to find.
The team behind ChevronWP7 decided to suspend the project a few days after it was released but the folks @ XDA managed to retrieve it.
All the credits go to iridium21, Cendaryn and Talys @ XDA.
Note that we will not be responsible if you end up bricking your device, rooting or jailbreaking your phone or tablet can be risky. If you follow the instructions carefully you will be fine!
Follow these instructions to jailbreak or unlock your Windows Phone 7 device using ChevronWP7:
- Download ChevronWP7.zip @ http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q1T7WQMK
- Download ChevronWP7Cer.zip @ http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=857127
- Unzip ChevronWP7Cer.zip and attach ChevronWP7.cer to an email that you have to send to one of your email accounts
- On your Windows Phone 7 device, open up this email using the Outlook client
- Install the attachment ChevronWP7.cer on your phone
- Unzip ChevronWP7.zip on your computer
- Connect your Windows Phone 7 device to your computer using the USB cable
- Start ChevronWP7.exe on your computer
- Check both checkboxes and click on Unlock
- All set! Your Windows Phone 7 device is now unlocked or jailbroken.
You can also follow in the video below the tutorial created by the folks @ http://windowsphonehacker.com.