The HTC Droid Eris has just been rooted, it took longer than rooting the Google Nexus One but thanks to the hard work of the guys at TheFuzz4.net we can now install custom ROMs including Android 2.1 ROMs on the Verizon HTC Droid Eris!
Note that I won't be responsible if you end up bricking your phone, jailbreaking or rooting your phone can be risky. If you follow the instructions then you will be fine!
Rooting your Android phone is similar to jailbreaking an iPhone or iPod Touch, it gives you full access to the OS file system so you can basically run anything on your phone.
This hack requires your HTC Droid Eris to run Android 1.5 which is the Android version it ships with anyway so unless you already modified your phone this should be the one you’re running right now.
You can download the 1.5 to 2.1 Root Image @ http://androidmobileos.com/?p=12017
Here are the installation instructions (thanks to TheFuzz4.net):
- Do a backup of all your data and contacts through Google or through the method of your choice.
- Download the file PB00IMG.zip from http://androidmobileos.com/?p=12017
- Copy this file to the root of your SD Card.
- Reset your phone.
- Press the Power and Volume Down Key while your HTC Droid Eris is booting.
- Your phone will load the PB00IMG.zip file.
- When prompted to press action press your trackball to start the update process.
- Now be patient it will take a while to boot up (around 10 minutes)
- When your phone is started, go through the Google Wizard.
Your phone is now rooted! You can download a rooted Android 2.1 image for the HTC Droid Eris @ http://www.thefuzz4.net/home/AndroidPhones/Eris/HowToRootYourHTCEris/ErisRootRoms.aspx.
If you have any questions go to IRC: irc.thefuzz4.net #ErisRootHelp
Take a look at a rooted Verizon HTC Droid Eris in action: